Hi Tom.

The situation of the Syth rpg you mention sounds disturbingly familiar. Long before I found audiogames, i was trying out literally thousands of those sorts of games, and Sryth is the only one I found to actually feature backstory, quests and a true world to explore.

there are a couple of games which are mechanically nice in terms of their explorable areas such as Kingdom of Loathing, but while an incredibly fun litle game, it's not something I can take too seriously as a coherent world and story, which is probably why I've never really had the patience to actually work a character through the game.

I would however absolutely, totally and completely recommend the chronicles of Arborell.

Fantastic writing, huge gamebooks, and really amazing background material.

the world is incredibly unique with it's own races and history, and there really is so much of the story which needs to be pieced together.

Also, there are main characters with backstory in the main gamebook series.

The gm is also great about accessibility issues (he's even got a forum for Vi accessibility).

Beware the Grue!