Hi Dark,
I see what you mean. Despite hundreds of books, movies, and games on the subject the medieval setting is still quite popular among gamers. Heck I've red the Lord of the Rings series at least five times because I personally find that story interesting and fun to read. It is easy to get caught up in the magic of Middle Earth and its age of heroes. As far as RPG storylines goes there are lots of them to choose from. There is everything from your typical medieval fantacy to a Sci-Fi universe like Star Wars or Star Trek. Having played a few games in the Star wars RPG games those can be quite fun picking a race of alien and then training up to be a jedi Knight or being a bounty hunter, smuggler, etc. Very cool. One thing to keep in mind is once I create one RPG game it is possible to take the same classes, mod them, and come up with another RPG game with a different story line. That is what object oriented programming is all about. In stead of sstarting with say 1000 gold coins a Sci-Fi game will start out with 1000 galactic credits. A Wizard class can be modified to be a Jedi class converting the magic spells in to force abilities. You see how that works.

dark wrote:
Well, with me tom it's more a stylistic thing than a particular plot or setting.

I love exploring and participating in the world, with it's own history, lores and places. It just seems to me there have been so many medaeval set fantasies, in books, films rpgs etc, that that sort of world is just becoming rather familiar in it's style and so losing a bit of the new and fresh exploration.

Ditto with the bog standard sterriotypical fantasy races. That's why I was suggesting a change in setting.

On the other hand, anything can be new and fresh if done well enough, so this wouldn't be a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

As reguards the Dc thing, superheros wouldn't be my first choice of setting, ---- I prefer different worlds as I said, but for the past year I've been playing a tabletop mutants and masterminds game, which has proved incredibly fun indeed.

As I said, with me it's more a case of what the game is like than where it is set I think.

Beware the Grue!

please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]