Hi everyone does anyone know if there are accessible maps or text maps for
either  of these muds?

Any help would be so helpful. Please write me off list.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 10:31 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Thoughts about new text adventures.

Hi Dark,

Again though, a case of a generic fantasy setting, ------ in fact the!
grand  daddy
of modern fantasy settings, complete with probably the most complex
history ever
written, and some absolutely beautiful writing.
End quote

Yes, and that, for me, is part of the attraction to Lord of the Rings
and even Star Wars. The back story, history, religions, etc are so
detailed you can almost imagine it being a real world even though it is
all imagination. As a creative writer of sorts myself i can well
appreciate the hard work and hours spent in drafting that degree of
detail required to create an epic story like that.
I don't know as much about starwars as I'd like. I've of course seen
(and  own),
all the films, but haven't really had the chance to get as much into
the extended
universe, backstory and alternate worlds, ---- mostly due to  lack of
availability
of said novels in accessible format in the uk.
End quote

Well, I can help with that. I know a guy who has a sendspace folder just
full of Star wars extended universe books in mp3 and ogg format. If you
want I can look up the address and you can download and read Star Wars
to your hearts desire.
I do like finding out about a world's own unique  nature, backstory and
quests.
That's again something I love about Sryth, the massive amounts of info
on  everything,
---- even generic enemy types).
End quote

I do as well. In an RPG game it is like being inside an interactive
story. One in which you get to guide in large part how the story
unfolds. Depending on your race and class type how you approach a
problem might be completely different in nature.
For example, a band of heroes come to the end of a dungeon and find the
exit blocked by a cave in. A barbarian character might try to use his
incredible strength to move the debree away from the exit. A dwarf use
to mining might try to mine his way through the debree. A wizard
character might try a destruction spell or some other kind of magic to
move the debree out of the way. What ever the case your actions are
somewhat dependant on your character roll.
Anyway, the more detailed the story is the more you can just slip into
that roll and begin to think and act like your character. heck, I've
even heard of some guild members who have gotten so obsessed with their
character rolls that they left the table top RPG gaming and dress up
like their character and do play out live inactments whenever possible.
Personally, i think that is going a bit out there, but on the other hand
I can see how it could be fun. Take a weekend tramping through the woods
dressed up as a medieval wizard, knight, elf, etc battling guys dressed
up as orcs, goblins, ogres, or some other such thing. I guess that would
feel more real than sitting around a table drinking cofee and letting
the dm guide you through yet another adventure story.

Basic rules for various settings could be fun, ---- but I'd personaly
rather  have
one incredibly detailed setting with huge amounts of history and plot
than a lot
of small ones which are essentially the same game with different  text.
End quote

Again I agree. It is more realistic if all of the events happen in and
around the same world with connecting characters etc. Especially, if
your adventure is a subplot in a much larger plot. If there is a boss
creature that can only be killed with a special weapon you might hav to
first undertake a quest to locate and find that special weapon or item
which could take a long time to complete. Then, after you obtain it you
might have to seak out and find the boss which might take a while. As a
result you might wind up with many smaller adventures that are directly
and indirectly attatched to the larger plot at hand.
Cheers!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]