Hi Tom.

as regards the text games and upgrades, I'm sorry to say that not everyone is as good about writing new stuff as you suggest, and certainly many stand alone text games I've seen have been just the one game and goodbye!.

Look at the titles from Malinch entertainment, you pay 29 usd for an interactive fiction game, and that's it.

While there are certainly developers of text based games who do update, like Niels bauer in the production of addons for the smugglers series, it does not seem half as common as with something online and web based from what I've seen.

In fact, most companies who sell games online seem very much to want to think of them not as pieces of computer software which the user buys, but as similar to a games console cartridge, you pay the money, get the one game, that's all.

Beware the grue!