I'm confused. What if you have a game that uses your screen reader, which happens to be JAWS, which uses Eloquence as the speech? I would think that would be legal, wouldn't it?

---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished, you! are! finished! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Possible MOTA Features

Hi Quentin,

I'm not really sure myself. Its tricky because the license for
Eloquence 6 has changed from prior versions.

For example, earlier versions of Eloquence that came with IBM Viavoice
were built using Sapi 4, and was free to use with other Sapi 4
applications that supported Sapi 4. However, with version 6 Eloquence
has become fairly proprietary in terms of its end user license
agreement.

However, if you are connecting to Eloquence via COM I don't think they
can legally stop you from supporting the TTS engine since its using a
common interface. What would be illegal is if you created a game and
provided a copy of Eloquence with the game as you would illegally be
redistributing the software, but just adding COM support for it in
your speech API shouldn't be illegal if I got my facks straight.

That's the problem with NVDA. Writing a speech driver for Eloquence is
perfectly legal as far as I know, but NVDA can't ship the TTS engine
with the screen reader legally because NVDA doesn't have a license to
redistribute. That's my understanding of the problem with NVDA and
Eloquence.

HTH