that is the reason I started with dolphin products.
They don't push you to upgrade unless you need it.
Upgrades have cost a lot but you get what you pay for.
I got 2.0 first
then 4.5 because of the new voice synth
then 5.0 because of windows support.
then 5.2 because of dcm.
I stayed there for like 6 years and got 12 this year for win7 support, vocaliser support and well the free daisy reader was a big reason I purchaced that version. I remember getting jaws and then having to buy it again because of the fact I needed to run on a profesional os. With all its issues though eloquence is used everywhere, and the nuance one I use on my phone sounds a lot better than the jaws ones. We have espeak ofcause but some just don't like that even though its opensource.

I have vocaliser which is like realspeak but some don't even like that and its sluggish, well on any loder system below duelcore that is on newer boxes it shouldn't be a major issue.