thanks colby,

i just called ivan and asked if he had tried the zipped ddb that i sent him.
the file was also not opened in protel when i zipped it. protel wasn't even
open.  ivan's gonna give it a shot immediately.

but one thing you mentioned definitely threw up a flag.  i have never
installed any of the service packs.  while ivan is trying the zipped ddb i
sent him, i'll go to the protel site and see if i can find the service pack.

and i'll go to the microsoft site and get the latest mdac, whatever that is.
is it a new windows DLL?

thanks again, miker