No, if it was a sample file generate with Protel 99, it doesn't matter which
service pack.

Are you opening a DDB file that includes both PCB and SCH? It should be no
different opening each of those types. Just clicking on them in the design
explorer opens them. Maybe Dennis' suggestion is what's affecting you.

Tony