On Fri March 6 2009 1:09:20 pm Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> >> You are missing the point.  I am not advocating changing the name
> >> just
> >> for the sake of changing the name.  There is a conflict in naming
> >> between NCSU VCL and this project.  It's that simple.
> >
> > I'm sorry, I'm just not understanding what you're saying - I need
> > you to
> > restate it using different wording rather than just repeating
> > yourself.  I
> > don't understand the naming conflict between ASF VCL and NCSU's
> > install of
> > VCL (keep in mind the content at vcl.ncsu.edu will be changed to
> > refer to
> > development of VCL being at ASF and stuff at vcl.ncsu.edu to just be
> > an
> > install of it).
>
> It's the name your department name, NCSU VCL, and the name of this
> incubating project, ASF VCL, that is the problem.  They cannot be the
> same.  It doesn't matter if the stuff at the NCSU VCL department is
> just an installation of the ASF VCL project.  It doesn't matter if
> there's attribution at the NCSU VCL department that they have
> installed ASF VCL software.
>
> There is a naming conflict and that has to be resolved.

Umm, there is no "NCSU VCL" department.  There are people from two different
groups at NCSU that are involved in development of VCL.  The main group being
the Office of Information Technology.  There is a group within that named
Advanced Computing.  Aaron, Andy, and I are in that group.  There is a
completely separate group named Centennial Networking Lab that has a fair
amount of interest in VCL as well.  Brian and Andrew work for them.

Other than the content at vcl.ncsu.edu discussing development of VCL that will
be changed to reflect development being done at ASF, the only thing -
organizational unit or otherwise - at NCSU that exists using the name VCL is
the installation of this project.

> > It seems to me, the Blackboard example I gave above exactly
> > matches our situation.  If it can work for them, why can it not work
> > for VCL?
> > If you don't think it matches our situation, please clearly state
> > how and why
> > you don't think it matches.
>
> It does not match our situation.  In your example you have a *single*
> corporation.  In our situation we have two separate institutions, one
> of them being a non-profit software foundation.  The project at the
> ASF cannot share a name with it's progenitor, an external institution.
>
> I mention branding because it's obvious that the NCSU staff is
> vociferously attempting to keep the branding connection between the
> NCSU department and the ASF incubator project by keeping the same
> name, regardless of what that name is.

I'm not trying to keep a branding connection between NCSU and VCL.  I'm trying
to keep a project that's been known by the name VCL for almost 5 years,
having had many presentations and papers published about it from having to be
renamed to something else that no one has heard of.  This is the *only*
reason I am interested in keeping the VCL name.  There were discussions at
NCSU a little while ago about changing the name (before there was even the
idea to move development to ASF).  I wanted to keep the VCL name then too -
for exactly the same reasons - because it is what people know the /project/
as.  I'm not trying to keep the name because people associate it with NCSU,
nor because I think it is necessarily the best name for the project (as in, a
different name from the beginning may have been better).  It's simply because
people know this project as VCL, and I don't think it makes sense to change
the name that so many people already know.

Josh

> Regards,
> Alan
>
> > Matt and Kevan - Do you understand what Alan is saying?  If so, as
> > our other
> > two mentors, can you help to clarify it?
> >
> > Josh
> >
> >> I will repeat myself again here.  NCSU VCL and its developers have a
> >> lot to be proud of.  It's only natural that both, NCSU VCL and its
> >> developers at ASF VCL, would want to keep their association with the
> >> brand.  That brand is only strengthened as departments from other
> >> universities join in and have their initiatives participate in the
> >> VCL
> >> brand.  Unfortunately the ASF must remain independent this branding
> >> effort.
> >>
> >> We are not a business.  We are an independent, non-profit, software
> >> foundation and we must remain free from such entanglements.
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> Alan

- --
Josh Thompson