I think that this link hilights the issue.

http://vcl.ncsu.edu/news/general-announcements/new-vcl-website-launched

The project at NCSU is sen as being powered by the NC State Computing Platform. There is clearly more of a tie between the name of the project and its roots. Quite honestly, this can be word smithed in any number of ways but the relationship exists. Using Alan's example with a situation that I'm quite familiar with is the reltionship between Apache Geronimo and IBM's "version" which was called WebSphere Community Edition. It would certainly not be appropriate for IBM to call it WebSphere "Geronimo Version". Apache owned the brand Geronimo and IBM, or anyone else for that matter, was free to do with the code what they wanted.

It is far easier for the project here to change its name than it is to impose changes on NC State and it would not be appropriate for Apache to suggest or even try and do so.

When the project is successful, it should be on its merits and keeping a sense of genealogy is fine, people will know it by its new name.