I share in Josh's puzzlement.  Since we don't have and never have had
a VCL Department, do we need to start one and then close it down?

  What we have is software which we call "VCL", and this is reflected in
the documentation and the URL to use our production system (vcl.ncsu.edu).

  At NC State we use a piece of software which we call "Apache HTTP
Server".  This name is the same as the ASF project.  We're not the only
organization which does this.  Ditto for other suftware, e.g. Tomcat.

  So I don't understand the following quoted material is consistent with
our situation.

since we don't (now) have any VCL project except for the ASF one.

  If "ASF name" means the name of our project at ASF, then for the other
projects, how can people say they are running Apache HTTP Server or
Tomcat?

  If "ASF name" means "the name of the Foundation" then there is the
same conflict when people say they are running Apache HTTP Server or
Tomcat.

  Am I missing something?

--henry schaffer