> On 12 Jan 2019, at 02:25, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 1/11/2019 2:36 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:
>>> Of course there are math professors (Dr. Z at Rutgers) who teach on the
>>> evils of Platonism. And "Truth" is like God, as Rorty said.
>>

>> That is a good summary of Plato. Hirsschberger sum up Plato by saying that
>> the God of Plato is Truth. Not the one we make public, but the one we search.
>>
>> Now, all my life I have got the feeling that Plato is dismissed, and badly
>> seen, notably in opposition to Aristotle. But Aristotle did not understood
>> Plato, except in a curious passage of the “metaphysics” where he seems to
>> suddenly got the point, and seems to come back to Plato without saying (but
>> that is an optimistic reading of Aristotle’s metaphysics, To be sure I found
>> some scholars who saw that too, like Gerson.
>>
>> That "truth is God" makes sense for a computationalist, because “truth” when
>> encompassing the description of a machine at its correct substitution level,
>> is no more definable by that machine. Yes, Truth, and semantics, is very
>> much like the platonician notion of God. You force me to agree with Rorty on
>> this!
>>

> At the same time Rorty said,"Truth is like God" he was a "strict atheist”.

I thought on this. Plato defines God by “Ultimate Truth” with a meliorative
respectful sense of Truth.

Maybe Rorty said this to dismiss Truth, as much as the “God” of the “naive
current authoritarian” religion.
But Rorty take some “nature” for granted, and this is the ciment of the current
Aristotelian quasi imposed paradigm, which is contradicted by the close
observation of nature, and by the theoretical consequences of Mechanism.

> He was also a pragmatist, meaning he thought the measure of truth was solely
> whether it worked.

That is, ITSM, rather more instrumentalism and relativism, than pragmatism, but
may be that is close.

Bruno