Hi,

Personally, I very rarely care about my score in games, and it's not a major
reason to play, I just love exploring a huge area and finding everything
there is to be found.
End quote

During my development of Monte I've discovered your general opinion
about scoring is not unique. Back in the 80's playing Demon Attack,
Space Invaders, Montezuma's Revenge, etc playing for points was all we
had to go on. There was none of the interactive movies that we see in
modern games like Wing Commander, Tomb Raider, Star Wars, etc... There
usually wasn't much of a plot line, and the graphics were silly compared
to modern standards. What made us early vidio gamers keep coming back to
Missile Command, Space Invaders, etc was trying to top your score. If
you were in your living room with your buddies sitting in front of your
families Atari 2600 each of you would be trying to top the other guys
points. That was usually enough to play those games over and over.
However, 25 years later games are so completely different and the
standards are way different. We now have interactive movies complete
with cut scenes, 3D animation, networked game play, and in depth plot
lines. Games like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider are examples of games
that started out as games but have turned into movies. Tomb Raider even
had a short run of action figures in the late 90's. Around that same
time Kenner did a short run of Star Wars figures from the Jedi Knight
games including: Kyle Katern, Mara Jade, and various other Jedi Knight
characters.
My point is that games have become quite a bit different from the 80's
era of games. When Holliwood is making movies and toy companies are
putting out action figures for some games that means that games are a
good deal more complicated and are of a higher quality than I once
considered high quality games 25 years ago.
As a culture I think many modern die-hard gamers view games in the same
way we see movies, books, etc and can become emotionally attached to the
stories and characters in some games.
For example, when Edos released Tomb Raider Last Revelation gamers
weren't aware at the time Edos had scheduled it to be the final Tomb
Raider game in the series. After buying it and playing it Tomb Raider
fans were shocked and out raged at the ending. The ending shows the
dramatic death of Lara Croft. She is crushed to death in the Temple of
Horris, and Tomb Raider fans screamed bloody murder. Edos ended up
having to reverse their decision of killing her, and basically lied in
later game installments saying she escaped in the last moment when that
clearly wasn't what happens in the final cut scene of Last Revelation.
 From this we can conclude some game characters such as Lara Croft can
become icons that fans can cling to. The fact that two movies have been
made using the Tomb Raider game plot line with a third supposably on the
way is a testament to Edos story writing skills in making a game more
than a game. Some games are as much about story and graphics as well as
game.