Hi Thomas,
about Shades of Doom or any game like it.
What you said is asomething ingame training should be there.
I know that I would need a while to learn all necessary things to use Mota 3D, but if I only had a manual with just a bit of "learn game sounds", I would be lost or it would take me a while to learn things. For such things most mainstream games I know or have myself contain some form of detailed training missions outside of the main mission or campaign where you do things step by step and that guided and where it is not your characters immediate end when you miss or screw a jump or something.
That's one reason why I only have demos of the Sarah game or Shades of Doom.
OK, I know to walk around, but within SOD, I don't have an audio representation of a visual map of a mainstream game and thus no idea where I should go first and more important where my first objective is located and how to get to it. It might be appropriate to hide the way to something as a riddle in some parts of a game, but not the entire time and basic navigation bejond "there is a passage to your left or right" is what I am really missing in the titles with the GMA engine.