Re: [Wikimedia-l] Apparently, Wikipedia is ugly

2012-07-14 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Yesterday I wanted to make a point to a friend. I tried to do it by having the facts that are sourced in the Wikipedia article read by the person who did not have the information available. Reading the article did not really happen because of the problems with the lay-out as presented on the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Apparently, Wikipedia is ugly

2012-07-16 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, It was not a small laptop screen, the screen was big enough... I blogged about it and included screenshots. Thanks, GerardM http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2012/07/can-everybody-read-wikipedia.html On 14 July 2012 19:21, Svip svi...@gmail.com wrote: On 14 July 2012 18:12, Gerard

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Apparently, Wikipedia is ugly

2012-07-25 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Most people are stupid and they still deserve a great reading experience.. Our aim is to share in the sum of all knowledge with everyone. When people fail to read Wikipedia.. and they do.. there is a reason to do better for them. Any effective measure that provides a better experience for

[Wikimedia-l] Using Wikisource for typing exercises

2012-08-01 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I am learning Arabic and one of the skills I lack is typing with ten fingers for the Arabic script. On many Wikisources the ProofreadPage extension is installed. What I cannot easily find is where I find the books that need transcription for Arabic. There are many people every year learning

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Creating content in Dari

2012-10-05 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, There has not been a request for the Dari language. A request for Dari will be seriously considered because its similarity to Farsi or Persian is such that it is mutually intelligible. Thanks, GerardM On 5 October 2012 09:45, James Heilman jmh...@gmail.com wrote: The language Dari

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikivoyage project launch/migration update

2012-10-17 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, This has been discussed in the language committee. In the committee we all agreed that the existing languages for Wikivoyage should start without any interference of us and that new languages should start through the normal process because from now they are just like any other new project in

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikivoyage project launch/migration update

2012-10-17 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, From my perspective, what is relevant is that we do not want to interfere with languages that exist in Wikitravel. It is quite likely that most of these languages are quite good from a localisation point of view. What makes sense if several languages are not in Wikivoyage yet, we can extend

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikivoyage project launch/migration update

2012-11-11 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, How many original Wikivoyage projects exist that have not been automagically exported exist ?? With Portuguese as the example, it would make sense to have it started in its own wiki. The language committee has made an exception for existing projects. The Portuguese project exists and as such

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Alpha version of the VisualEditor now available on the English Wikipedia

2012-12-12 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I agree that it is of great use to any and all projects. No argument there. My point is that when it works for any Devanagari language Wikipedia it will work equally well for the corresponding Devanagari Wikibooks. The one thing particular to the English Wikipedia is that it has its own

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Reappointment of Bishakha Datta as WMF Trustee

2012-12-28 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Good news :) Congratulations :) Thanks, GerardM On 28 December 2012 16:39, Geoff Brigham gbrig...@wikimedia.org wrote: I am happy to report that Bishakha Datta has been reappointed as a Trustee on the WMF Board for another two-year term. The Board resolution may be found here:

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikivoyage project launch/migration update

2013-01-03 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, The Portuguese Wikivoyage has been created. :) Thanks, GerardM On 12 November 2012 22:31, Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton rodrigo.argen...@gmail.com wrote: So you're telling me there's files, but you will not import because no one of the Portuguese speakers helped in the cleaning process?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikivoyage project launch/migration update

2013-01-03 Thread Gerard Meijssen
that worked hard to make it happen. The community of Portuguese speakers for sure appreciate these efforts. Tom 2013/1/3 Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.com: Hoi, The Portuguese Wikivoyage has been created. :) Thanks, GerardM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikivoyage project launch/migration update

2013-01-03 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi Etienne, Thank you for informing us about the Assamese Wikisource; it is live as well :) A great day :) Thanks, GerardM On 4 January 2013 00:40, Etienne Beaule betie...@bellaliant.net wrote: Everyone forgot the assamese wikisource. On 2013-01-03 19:37, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs

Re: [Wikimedia-l] compromise?

2013-01-05 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, In my country health care insurance is compulsory. If anything this means that everyone can see a doctor and believe it or not, investment in health care is beneficial to the wealth of a nation. I am appalled that people consider health care something that is best left to the individual. It

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Voice Intro Project

2013-02-08 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, There are several tools that allow you to record pronunciations. I have done many many in the past and, I am not the only on Thanks, GerardM On 8 February 2013 16:06, Sarah Stierch sarah.stie...@gmail.com wrote: Yeah, it'd be cool to have a tool that allows the subject to record and

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Voice Intro Project

2013-02-09 Thread Gerard Meijssen
2013 21:34, Florence Devouard anthe...@yahoo.com wrote: Gerard, Did not we record something sounding like merry christmas and happy new year several years ago ? Was it uploaded ? I could not find it ;) Flo On 2/8/13 5:24 PM, Gerard Meijssen wrote: Hoi, There are several tools that allow

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Voice Intro Project

2013-02-09 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I found something on nl.wiktionary... http://nl.wiktionary.org/wiki/Vrolijk_Kerstfeest_en_een_Gelukkig_Nieuwjaar! Thanks, Gerard On 9 February 2013 15:16, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.com wrote: Hoi, Yes, they were uploaded. They are not that easy to find because

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New proposal for a wiki Project!

2013-02-18 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, The one thing I am really interested in learning is how information about and content in a specific languages will be handled. Information about is likely to be in another language, consequently WHAT language. Content could be in something like Wikisource / Wikibooks. Thanks, Gerard

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New proposal for a wiki Project!

2013-02-18 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, This does not negate the relevance of maintaining information about the languages and the cultures reflected by them. A new project has to be relevant for its own reasons. It has to be relevant to the people who will care for it. Thanks, GerardM On 18 February 2013 23:35, Thomas

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Are there plans for interactions between wikidata and wiktionaries ?

2013-03-11 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, If there is one thing that would be extremely powerful, it would be combining lexical information with Commons. I presented about this in Alexandria at Wikimania and, it is still true. It makes sense to allow people to search for a paard or a cheval or a

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Are there plans for interactions between wikidata and wiktionaries ?

2013-03-11 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, There is no point at all in maintaining the software currently used by OmegaWiki. That would be foolish. Nobody who knows OmegaWiki will ask for that. What we are asking for is that we ensure that the structures that exist in OmegaWiki are replicated in Wikidata for reasons that are clear

Re: [Wikimedia-l] בקשה למרואיין

2013-03-11 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, grin there is always Google translate ... works quite nicely from within gmail for many languages. Thanks, Gerard On 11 March 2013 21:11, Fae fae...@gmail.com wrote: On 11 March 2013 19:56, Michael Snow wikipe...@frontier.com wrote: Too bad - I was hoping it was a sign that people

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies

2013-06-03 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, This is great fun ... However from the perspective of taxonomy this is not complete at all. What is lacking are the names of the authors and the date of publication. Even this can be insufficient because there are instances where a description with the same name by the same people happened

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies

2013-06-03 Thread Gerard Meijssen
...@googlemail.com wrote: On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.comwrote: Really, taxonomy is tricky. FYI I have an 80 MB database with ONLY cacti and succulents. I learned a lot in the process. So, have you imported that to Wikidata yet

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies

2013-06-12 Thread Gerard Meijssen
because in Wikipedia every species is notable anyway? Kind regards Ziko Am Montag, 3. Juni 2013 schrieb Gerard Meijssen : Hoi, Taxonomy is not the thing that occupies me. It is however something I have experience with.. Everyone who knows anything about the taxonomy of plants can confirm

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] PRISM, government surveillance, and Wikimedia: Request for community feedback

2013-06-15 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, From my perspective ... I live outside the USA, PRISM only brings the American people the same surveillance the rest of the world has had for a long time. The only difference is that the pretence that the US populace is not watched is known to be a fiction. Thanks, GerardM On 15 June

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Fwd: Re: Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with supportof bots)

2013-06-18 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hear, hear Thanks, GerardM Op 18 jun. 2013 12:08 schreef Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada emi...@gmail.com het volgende: Seriously, are we discussing again about bot stubs yes, bot stubs no? Those users who want to submit complete 10-page articles, can move to the defunct Nupedia or the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] What community initiatives have made an impact on editor engagement?

2013-07-06 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi Steven, When the facts show that having the CAPTCHA is a demonstrable BAD idea. It should be easy to prevent CAPTCHA from being implemented again. I am sure you know who to speak to. Thanks, GerardM On 5 July 2013 21:02, Steven Walling swall...@wikimedia.org wrote: On Fri, Jul 5,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Progress...

2013-07-26 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Sorry Fred, I do not like your post. The quote has it wrong because research shows that it is factually wrong. Wikipedia has a better coverage at a superior quality to the encyclopaedia that went before. The only thing I can agree with is that it is available at a much lower cost; it is the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's have the courage to sit down and talk about VisualEditor

2013-07-31 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Quality like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One thing that I learned today is that the Visual Editor will have functionality that only the more accomplished editors will enter directly or they will use templates. With VE these templates are redundant. From my perspective, the future

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wiktionary-l] Meeting about the support of Wiktionary in Wikidata

2013-08-09 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Would be interested but I am not there ... As are many other people ... Thanks, GerardM On 9 August 2013 06:43, David Cuenca dacu...@gmail.com wrote: wiktionar...@lists.wikimedia.orgHi, If there is someone in Wikimania interested in participating in the talks about the future support

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet.org and Wikipedia Zero ?

2013-08-23 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, All we need to do is what we already do: make our content available for free. When we are really in their face that we bring neutral information to everyone, everywhere how and why will they deny us? Thanks, GerardM On 23 August 2013 10:59, Kul Wadhwa kwad...@wikimedia.org wrote:

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet.org and Wikipedia Zero ?

2013-08-23 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, But when they provide the infrastructure that allows our content to be seen by many more people, they do us a service. In the end it is what we are about. Last thing I heard we were first of all about getting the knowledge out there. Thanks, GerardM On 23 August 2013 12:14, Jens Best

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet.org and Wikipedia Zero ?

2013-08-26 Thread Gerard Meijssen
. Rodríguez-Posada emi...@gmail.comwrote: Looks like NSA has bought some new hard drives and needs moar data. 2013/8/23 Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.com Hoi, But when they provide the infrastructure that allows our content to be seen by many more people, they do us a service

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia and the politics of encryption

2013-09-03 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Fred, what is different in your scenario from what happens in the USA ? Thanks, GerardM On 3 September 2013 00:23, Fred Bauder fredb...@fairpoint.net wrote: On 31/08/13 15:17, Erik Moeller wrote: It could be argued that it’s time to draw a line in the sand - if you’re

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia and the politics of encryption

2013-09-03 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Fred, Sorry, there is no us. As far as the United States is concerned they allowed themselves to spy on any person who is not one of US to be speid on. Given that our movement is a global movement, the fact that it is based in the US is incidental. Thanks, GerardM On 3 September 2013

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Global East

2013-10-14 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Every Wikipedia has its own point of view. They are all not neutral if only by omission. Do consider the amount of effort that has gone in the creation of articles relating to the United States of America,. Compare this with the coverage of the Ottoman Empire, given that the English Wikipedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Global East

2013-10-14 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi Fred, I have no opinion on the quality of subjects that are in the English Wikipedia. When I state that it is not neutral by omission, it means that the same level of attention does not go to subjects like the Ottoman Empire. Effectively I want more people to write about other cultures and

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Experience implementing Wikidata

2013-11-03 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Are you going to use this info in a blogpost or something ? If not is it ok for me to do so ?? Thanks, Gerard On 3 November 2013 09:02, Anders Wennersten m...@anderswennersten.sewrote: Since August we are implementing Wikidata for the Swedish 290 communes and 1900 towns, including

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Copyright infringement - The real elephant in the room

2013-11-13 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Seriously we should never ever be ruled be panic.What you see is bad, no doubt but the notion that we should dump everything because of the latest issue to come along is way overboard. - by stopping the flow on projects like Visual Editor you break dependencies for the work of many

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Copyright infringement - The real elephant in the room

2013-11-13 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi I know several authors who publish and use their original text to publish on Wikipedia as well.. This is another source of false positives because they have the copyright to the original source... To recognise this you have to be even more sophisticated. The point I want to make is that

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resolution: Media about living people

2013-12-15 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I am really interested in how you think this will work out when Commons is going to use Wikidata. The planning is that in half a year the Wikidata team will start work on implementing something for Commons. It will include tagging. So for me a picture will be tagged and indicate who is in a

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Porn blocking in the UK: en:wp blocks on O2

2013-12-23 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, How does this relate to Wikidata ? Thanks, GerardM On 23 December 2013 06:07, geni geni...@gmail.com wrote: On 22 December 2013 20:51, David Gerard dger...@gmail.com wrote: On 22 December 2013 19:31, geni geni...@gmail.com wrote: On 22 December 2013 13:35, David Gerard

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Copyright URAA trolls on Wikimedia Commons

2013-12-30 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi Tomasz, You have a really strong opinion. When you read this thread, you will notice that it is not appreciated by many and seen as disruptive. Can you appreciate it in this way? You argument about re-users is valid when you turn around the argument as well; as long as we do NOT have a take

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Copyright URAA trolls on Wikimedia Commons

2013-12-31 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, When you go the way of comparing to Kim Dotcom to make a point, you will have to recognise that the government has been shown to act illegally. Consequently your argument is without real merit. Thanks, GerardM On 31 December 2013 20:45, ??? wiki-l...@phizz.demon.co.uk wrote: On

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Copyright URAA trolls on Wikimedia Commons

2014-01-01 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, What effective claim has been made against Kim Dotcom and, THAT is your argument. Thanks, GerardM On 1 January 2014 12:21, ??? wiki-l...@phizz.demon.co.uk wrote: On 01/01/2014 07:41, Gerard Meijssen wrote: Hoi, When you go the way of comparing to Kim Dotcom to make a point, you

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Most viewed articles of 2013, across languages

2014-01-01 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Would it be possible to have it for all languages? Thanks, GerardM On 1 January 2014 20:26, phoebe ayers phoebe.w...@gmail.com wrote: I don't think this has been sent out yet: http://tools.wmflabs.org/wikitrends/2013.html (thanks to Itzik for drawing my attention to it, and Johan

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikidata, templates, Modules Lua

2014-01-05 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, When your question is, is it possible for the work of professionals who write LUA programs to make sense particularly in the bigger WMF context, the context of the 285+ Wikipedias, my answer is yes. What I would like is for them to take up the challenge and internationalise the LUA programs

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Relationship between Wikimedia and oDesk

2014-01-08 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Odesk is the way the WMF pays people who do not live in the USA. What is expected of a contractor or employee is to register the time worked for the WMF and the contractor is paid through Odesk. This has all kinds of legal reasons. When an employee / contractor wants to use Odesk in addition

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement Sarah Stierch

2014-01-09 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, It is extremely sad to lose one of our best and brightest. Was there no other way ?? Was this even considered ?? Thanks, Gerard On 9 January 2014 09:16, Andrea Zanni zanni.andre...@gmail.com wrote: +1 Nathan. Aubrey On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 1:31 AM, Nathan nawr...@gmail.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] A Multimedia Vision for 2016

2014-01-10 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Fabrice, I very much love the two stories described in the vision. It describes not only a functionality that is technical, it also describes how our community may interact. That is great. What I missed are the consequences of the planned integration of Commons with Wikidata. I blogged about

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Paid editing v. paid advocacy (editing)

2014-01-11 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I want to open up the discussion even wider. The way things are stated is that paid editing is not acceptable. This ukase [1] may be considered best practice for the English Wikipedia, our Wikimedia universe is a bit bigger than that. Wikidata is a completely different beast with completely

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Paid editing v. paid advocacy (editing)

2014-01-12 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, In what language does this disclosure have to be ?? Thanks, Gerard On 12 January 2014 12:29, Craig Franklin cfrank...@halonetwork.net wrote: On 12 January 2014 02:58, MZMcBride z...@mzmcbride.com wrote: Craig Franklin wrote: I think it's actually foolish to try and split hairs

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

2014-01-15 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, One obvious point to start is the functionality of the ULS. It already serves one function for people who have a handicap with their perception. It has the OpenDyslexic font for people with dyslexia. There are multiple ways functionality can be provided who have a visual handicap. The size of

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

2014-01-15 Thread Gerard Meijssen
to do is promote the use of usability tools... this becomes easier when there are more of them Thanks, GerardM On 15 January 2014 10:34, Jon Davies jon.dav...@wikimedia.org.uk wrote: How about starting with what a 'ULS' is? That would help :) On 15 January 2014 08:50, Gerard Meijssen

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

2014-01-15 Thread Gerard Meijssen
starting with what a 'ULS' is? That would help :) On 15 January 2014 08:50, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.com wrote: Hoi, One obvious point to start is the functionality of the ULS. It already serves one function for people who have a handicap with their perception

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

2014-01-15 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I am totally with you. However we can only help where we can. Providing the font and make it accessible is one way. Thanks, GerardM On 15 January 2014 11:18, James Alexander jameso...@gmail.com wrote: On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 2:05 AM, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.comwrote

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

2014-01-15 Thread Gerard Meijssen
2014, at 09:34, Jon Davies jon.dav...@wikimedia.org.uk wrote: How about starting with what a 'ULS' is? That would help :) On 15 January 2014 08:50, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.com wrote: Hoi, One obvious point to start is the functionality of the ULS. It already serves

Re: [Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

2014-01-16 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, This is a truly divisive issue. For many people the notion that you do not need anything proprietary is a powerful motivator to participate. Promoting a stack of software that cannot be taken away because of the whims of a company or country is an integral part to it. From my perspective the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

2014-01-17 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I am happy for people to upload files when we can convert it to another format. Given that the issue is around the ability to re-use media files in the H.264 format, providing these files to our users is exactly the issue that is being discussed. Consequently it is controversial. Thanks,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Speakerthon update

2014-01-18 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, You may like this as well :) http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2014/01/wikidata-wendy-hall-computer-scientist.html Thanks, GerardM On 18 January 2014 17:10, Andy Mabbett a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk wrote: On 18 January 2014 11:29, Andy Mabbett a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk wrote: The

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Extensive feedback from WMDE to the FDC process

2014-01-18 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I take it that the Hungarian chapter takes part in this? I know other chapters do as well.. Thanks, GerardM On 17 January 2014 18:17, Balázs Viczián balazs.vicz...@wikimedia.huwrote: My five cents here would be that how about considering longer time frames for grants, like 2-3-5

[Wikimedia-l] Reasonator use in Wikipedias

2014-01-21 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, At this moment Wikipedia red links provide no information whatsoever. This is not cool. In Wikidata we often have labels for the missing (=red link) articles. We can and do provide information from Wikidata in a reasonable way that is informative in the Reasonator. We also provide

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Reasonator use in Wikipedias

2014-01-21 Thread Gerard Meijssen
fashion. Thanks, GerardM [1] http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikispecial/EN/TablesWikipediaWIKIDATA.htm On 21 January 2014 18:13, Ryan Lane rlan...@gmail.com wrote: On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 7:17 AM, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.comwrote: Hoi, At this moment Wikipedia red links

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Reasonator use in Wikipedias

2014-01-22 Thread Gerard Meijssen
, with support JS). git here: https://bitbucket.org/magnusmanske/reasonator On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Ryan Lane rlan...@gmail.com wrote: On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 7:17 AM, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.comwrote: Hoi, At this moment Wikipedia red links provide

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Reasonator use in Wikipedias

2014-01-22 Thread Gerard Meijssen
) writers, as the important facts are on the screen for them to include into the prose of the new article. On Jan 21, 2014 10:18 PM, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.com wrote: Hoi, At this moment Wikipedia red links provide no information whatsoever. This is not cool

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community consultation + Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director selection process

2014-01-22 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Sorry I cannot parse this suffering from a paid advocacy-introduced inaccuracy contrary to the peer reviewed secondary literature Thanks, GerardM On 22 January 2014 11:29, James Salsman jsals...@gmail.com wrote: Jan-Bart de Vreede wrote: ... we are trying to reach potential

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Reasonator use in Wikipedias

2014-01-23 Thread Gerard Meijssen
. In light of that, writing code to fill an infobox with values form wikidata to paste into the article seems ... low-tech ;-) Cheers, Magnus On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Andy Mabbett a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk wrote: On 22 January 2014 08:35, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Reasonator use in Wikipedias

2014-01-23 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, We can provide information now(ish). We are discussing draft because it is a likely avenue. It is however very much NOT intended for the English Wikipedia. If anything it would be much better if we work this out on other Wikipedias first. The most benefit from Reasonator will be for the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Reasonator use in Wikipedias

2014-01-24 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, You are conflating two tools .. they are still quite distinct.. - What you refer to is a query tool and IT provides you with the numbers you quote. - Reasonator provides you with a search functionality and a display functionality So Reasonator gives you something like this [1]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Reasonator use in Wikipedias

2014-01-24 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, As I recall it there is a category with Russian female painters.. Using Widar [1] and identifying them as a painter and a female takes all of 5 minutes.. Thanks, GerardM [1] http://tools.wmflabs.org/wikidata-todo/autolist.html On 24 January 2014 13:40, Jane Darnell jane...@gmail.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Botopedia?

2014-02-05 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, At Wikidata the number of items and the associated data is growing steadily. We are dealing with the aftermath of some bots and to be honest, that is also very much the name of the game. An example: many species have been added in the ceb nl sv Wikipedia and it would be wonderful if the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Botopedia?

2014-02-05 Thread Gerard Meijssen
expertise when ours is not enough , we are after all wikipedians not tech wizards And we are missing to have colleagues on other language versions to discuss with, it is very complex. Anders Gerard Meijssen skrev 2014-02-05 12:16: Hoi, At Wikidata the number of items

[Wikimedia-l] Generated texts

2014-02-07 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, We have often had discussions about generating texts to be used in Wikipedia articles. The drawback of articles that are generated in this way is that they do not get updated as more information becomes available. The data in Wikidata is comparable with the kind of data often used in such

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Generated texts

2014-02-07 Thread Gerard Meijssen
by the script (like pictures identified as linked to that item). In that case it is pretty obvious that the data is still unusable, but what if the 3-5-10 articles I check are OK? Are there any guidelines on that? Thanks, Strainu 2014-02-07 17:42 GMT+02:00 Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board decisions on movement funding and approval issues

2014-02-12 Thread Gerard Meijssen
speaking world and it effectively prevents many things from happening on our shared globe. Thanks, GerardM On 12 February 2014 18:01, Delirium delir...@hackish.org wrote: On 2/11/14, 9:14 AM, Gerard Meijssen wrote: There are two areas where the Wikimedia Foundation is active; the USA where

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Proposed amendment to the Wikimedia Terms of Use

2014-02-21 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, When people make information available that fits in the notability requirements of Wikidata and, when the information is factually correct, then I do not think that anyone really cares if the person uploading it is gets paid for it or not. Please explain to me why I should care. As it is

[Wikimedia-l] Using Wikidata for your projects

2014-02-22 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, The tooling that Magnus has developed is gaining in maturity. It now has the functionality to enrich and visualise the data in Wikidata from the content of categories and lists in Wikipedias. It is possible to make sure that the subjects of *YOUR* project includes all the statements implied

Re: [Wikimedia-l] extend mediawiki software to allow append a group, and COI to an edit

2014-02-22 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Why ? Thanks. GerardM On 22 February 2014 21:13, Gryllida gryll...@fastmail.fm wrote: I do mind 5 and 6, since their submissions would be deleted aggressively. I feel that you may introduce a marker if you want, but not a separate queue. On Sun, 23 Feb 2014, at 2:25, rupert

[Wikimedia-l] Maps based on Wikidata data

2014-03-16 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, In the latest iteration of the Reasonator, you will find the option to see what items exist in a radius of 15 km around the current item. Obviously, you will find only those items that have a geo-coordinate. There are however many of them :) They are everything from cities to amusement parks

Re: [Wikimedia-l] ED transition responsibility

2014-03-25 Thread Gerard Meijssen
James, Sorry, you know that answer as well as we all do. Sue has not gone. The board is still there. Thanks, GerardM On 25 March 2014 01:23, James Salsman jsals...@gmail.com wrote: Hi Gayle, During the ED transition, who is responsible for insuring that Foundation advocacy is aligned

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Our next strategy plan-Paid editing

2014-03-27 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Do we have a way of indicating that something was graded at a given date ? Thanks, GerardM On 26 March 2014 22:35, Andrew Gray andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk wrote: The WP 1.0 model is pretty good (at least across a sample of a hundred or so articles) but it's quite labour-intensive.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cost of Wikimedia Conference 2014

2014-03-31 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Video conferencing is ok-ish.. at best. It does not give you the opportunity that face to face communications gives you. It does not allow you to get through the fog of misunderstanding, Really, when the right people go for the right reasons, it pays its dividents. Cost is only one criteria

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cost of Wikimedia Conference 2014

2014-03-31 Thread Gerard Meijssen
be a consideration when there is not enough and when it is not spend effectively. Thanks, GerardM On 31 March 2014 14:34, Fæ fae...@gmail.com wrote: On 31 March 2014 12:02, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.com wrote: Hoi, Video conferencing is ok-ish.. at best. It does not give you

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cost of Wikimedia Conference 2014

2014-03-31 Thread Gerard Meijssen
, why rule from the grave? Thanks, GerardM On 31 March 2014 15:36, Fæ fae...@gmail.com wrote: On 31 March 2014 14:08, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.com wrote: Hoi, When there is enough money to go around, efficacy should be the primary consideration. When charitable funds

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cost of Wikimedia Conference 2014

2014-04-01 Thread Gerard Meijssen
delegation, why is that. It is not legitimate to say you waste money by sending people to a conference, why is that. Thanks, GerardM Op 31 mrt. 2014 16:44 schreef Russavia russavia.wikipe...@gmail.com: Gerard, et al On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 9:59 PM, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cost of Wikimedia Conference 2014

2014-04-02 Thread Gerard Meijssen
, let's make the best of it together! I am looking forward to seeing so many of you next week in Berlin! Best, Nicole On 1 April 2014 10:47, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.com wrote: Hoi, Money entrusted to a chapter is for that chapter to spend as they see

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A decision in Commons regarding URAA affected files

2014-04-03 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Thanks GerardM On 3 April 2014 17:37, Yael Meron y...@wikimedia.org.il wrote: After a discussion[1] in Commons regarding this subject, a decision was made, stating that URAA cannot be used as the sole reason for deletion. We consider this a good solution for this situation, considering

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Proposal: Transparency for Wikimedia paid volunteers

2014-04-04 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I can understand the sentiment and, it makes some sense. However, I do not like weasel words ... paid employees.. Bah They are not volunteering. They are on a job, have a mission. I think that employees of any organisations may work for the benefit of bringing the sum of all knowledge

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fuck the community, who cares

2014-04-07 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, What is it that you intend to do. Hang them and, hang them high?? You already know that it was in a very emotional moment ... What is your objective? What do you expect as a result and how will that be in everyone's benefit?? Thanks, Gerard On 7 April 2014 12:16, Tomasz W. Kozlowski

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fuck the community, who cares

2014-04-08 Thread Gerard Meijssen
process. If this has occured, he would not have written this in his blog. h Am 07.04.2014 12:52, schrieb Gerard Meijssen: Hoi, What is it that you intend to do. Hang them and, hang them high?? You already know that it was in a very emotional moment ... What is your objective? What do you

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fuck the community, who cares

2014-04-08 Thread Gerard Meijssen
) and the other way around. Maybe it's a cultural thing and we swear a lot in our internal meetups in the Netherlands, dunno about that, but I never felt offended when I heard these statements and in context have agreed with both parties. 2014-04-08 8:22 GMT+02:00, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fuck the community, who cares

2014-04-08 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, One reason is that the license of Wikidata is questioned by members of the Wikidata community. Thanks, GerardM On 8 April 2014 11:27, Martijn Hoekstra martijnhoeks...@gmail.com wrote: On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.comwrote: Hoi, From

Re: [Wikimedia-l] I'm back

2014-04-17 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Interested in your old haunts at the language committee ? Any way, wb ! Thanks, Gerard On 17 April 2014 22:47, Milos Rancic mill...@gmail.com wrote: For those who care, I'm back. My absence wasn't related to Wikimedia. It was about first world problems, which hit me quite hard. I

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Search (it was Commons' frontpage...)

2014-05-16 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, We already have this in WD-Search. Try it for instance on the Telugu or Tamil Wikipedia. Search for any subject that is covered in a Wikidata supported Wiki. You can use any script. When the label exists, it will find it for you. Thanks to automated descriptions you will get to see what the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons tagging and/versus categorization

2014-05-19 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Easy and obvious when you look at it with eyes that do not expect English. A tag will be linked to Wikidata. Consequently it will show differently depending on the language you have selected for yourself. It is just these other people who will be serviced. Another reason is that there are

[Wikimedia-l] Wikidata vs Wikipedia

2014-05-20 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, Amir Ladsgroup has developed reports that show differences between the date of birth and the date of death as known in the English Wikipedia and Wikidata. Such differences may be wrong in either Wikidata or Wikipedia. They are the ones that need attention, they are the ones where sources

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons tagging and/versus categorization

2014-05-20 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, OmegaWiki did a proof of concept for tagging images with multilingual tags years ago.. Categories are broken by design. It is not only that they are unilingual, it is also that they are always in the plural. Why look for horses when you look for a picture of a horse? Thanks, GerardM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikidata vs Wikipedia

2014-05-20 Thread Gerard Meijssen
, where in fact Wikipedia has the (sourced) date August 7, 1966 which is identical to the date in Wikidata. Regards, Thyge 2014-05-20 9:33 GMT+02:00 Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijs...@gmail.com: Hoi, Amir Ladsgroup has developed reports that show differences between the date of birth

Re: [Wikimedia-l] The first three weeks.

2014-05-29 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, James is right in that we could do better in growing the number of people contributing to our projects. So what is it that makes people back? Typically it is that they find the information they look for. Typically it is that their contribution is valued and does not take too much effort.

  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   >