Re: Machines was:Kim 2.1

2008-12-26 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
by machinery can perform. Is this just being pedantic in trying to stick to what the great man actually said? What is an example of a possible operation a machine could perform that a human, digital computer or Turing machine would be unable to perform? -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: Quantum Immortality - the principle of the least improbability/influencing things

2008-12-30 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
in a world; which over many (as close to fair as possible) games would give me a net expected game. But alas, it turns out when you do the calculations that my expected gain is about proportional to the probability that I would actually leave a corpse behind, which is what I wanted to avoid. -- Stathis

Re: Boltzmann Brains, consciousness and the arrow of time

2009-01-01 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
or if you take into account Boltzmann Brains that would not be a problem. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-06 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
fundamentally real time, not block pseudo-time. I don't see any justification for such claims beyond a desire to preserve the magic in the world. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-07 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
is there for adding this requirement? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l...@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from this group

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-08 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
2009/1/8 Brent Meeker meeke...@dslextreme.com: Stathis Papaioannou wrote: 2009/1/7 Abram Demski abramdem...@gmail.com wrote: I would not deny causality in such a universe so long as the logical structure enforces the Life rules (meaning, the next level in the stack is *always* the next

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-09 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
watching a falling stone, running on a digital computer. Does the observer have any way of knowing whether the simulation is being run serially, in parallel, on how many and what kinds of physical machines, at what speed, or in what order? -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-09 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
or block universe real is a matter of taste. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l...@googlegroups.com

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-10 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
in the simulated observer? Are you suggesting that the observer would be conscious of the passage of time through two consecutive machine states, s1 and s2, running on the one machine m1, but not if s1 is run on m1 (which is then stopped) and s2 run on a separate machine m2? -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-11 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
the sequence s1 to s20 on a single machine m1 will give a different conscious experience to running s1 to s10 on m1 and separately s11 to s20 on m2? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-12 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
transfer between the two machines was unreliable, so that the right state was transferred only half the time? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-13 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
as a reductio against computationalism. The alternative way, saving computationalism, is, I think, Bruno's: it isn't the physical states giving rise to consciousness, but the computation as Platonic object. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-13 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
of Marchalian Idealism (to coin a phrase). It's either that or drop computationalism. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-14 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
results is a few moments of consciousness (which is to say, assuming that computationalism is true), what would happen if the sequence is broken in the way just described? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-14 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
neuroscience is now beyond the philosopher's thought experiment stage. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-15 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
, but what would you say if a computer model of a brain based on relatively simple reductionist assumptions, as Markram's team are attempting, did result in complex emergent behaviour similar to that of a biological brain? -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-15 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
10ms could alter consciousness. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l...@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-16 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
everytime you were teleported. How can you be sure that your consciousness was not suspended for the past minute, assuming that care was taken to leave the environment unchanged during this period? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-16 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
2009/1/17 Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be: On 16 Jan 2009, at 14:10, Stathis Papaioannou wrote: 2009/1/16 Brent Meeker meeke...@dslextreme.com: But both the electronic and the mechanical computer are implementing a process that is distributed in spacetime and has causal connections

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-16 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
to proceed the same way as it would have without the interruption? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l

Re: The arrow of time is the easiest computational direction for life in the manifold

2009-01-24 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
question should be: why does entropy increase in the same direction in every observed part of the universe? For only if the glass shattering occurred in a direction different to that of the mind of the observer would something unusual be noticed. -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: briefly wading back into the fray

2009-02-08 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
you feel your consciousness more thinly spread or something? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l

Re: adult vs. child

2009-02-08 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
suddenly find myself a different person entirely because their measure is a lot greater than mine. Given that I am who I am now, there are constraints as to what candidate OM's are allowed in the lucky dip for my next conscious moment. -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: adult vs. child

2009-02-10 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
you will be B, with 100% certainty. Would you say something else? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l

Re: adult vs. child

2009-02-10 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
2009/2/11 Jack Mallah jackmal...@yahoo.com: --- On Tue, 2/10/09, Stathis Papaioannou stath...@gmail.com wrote: It seems that the disagreement may be one about personal identity. It is not clear to me from your paper whether you accept what Derek Parfit calls the reductionist theory

Re: adult vs. child AB

2009-02-10 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
, and continuity of consciousness is an illusion. The question of survival is then the question of how to ensure that this illusion continues. QI allows the illusion to continue indefinitely. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because

Re: adult vs. child AB

2009-02-11 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
will wake up in my bed tomorrow. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l...@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from

Re: Dreams and measure

2009-02-11 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
of me simulated in that dream should have been be infinite. If you remember that you had a nice dream then the version of you in the dream is continuing. And if you had forgotten it, there would be other versions of you that didn't, as Brent suggested. -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: AB continuity

2009-02-11 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
2009/2/12 Jack Mallah jackmal...@yahoo.com: --- On Wed, 2/11/09, Stathis Papaioannou stath...@gmail.com wrote: I don't think it makes a difference if life is continuous or discrete: it is still possible to assert that future versions of myself are different people who merely experience

Re: adult vs. child AB

2009-02-11 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
conclusions. Suppose you discover that you have a disease which breaks the required continuity every time you go to sleep, and that this has been happening your whole life. Will you worry about falling asleep tonight? Should your property be disposed of tomorrow according to your will? -- Stathis

Re: continuity - cloning

2009-02-11 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
2009/2/12 Jack Mallah jackmal...@yahoo.com: --- On Wed, 2/11/09, Stathis Papaioannou stath...@gmail.com wrote: You agree that if one version of me goes to bed tonight and one version of me wakes up tomorrow, then I should expect to wake up tomorrow. But if extra versions of me

Re: continuity - cloning

2009-02-11 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
the important part of me - mind, consciousness, soul - is preserved if the pattern making up my brain is preserved. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post

Re: ASSA vs. RSSA and the no cul-de-sac conjecture was (AB continuity)

2009-02-12 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
? The following article suggests not: http://scienceblogs.com/pontiff/2008/11/everything_and_nothing.php I guess it is still possible that the no cul-de-sac conjecture is correct even though some ways of avoiding death are impossible. -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-02-20 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
or consciousness. This leaves open the possibility that my copy might both behave *and* think the same way I do but still not be the same person. But if that is so, then as Shoemaker says, that would make the soul irrelevant. -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: Personal Identity and Ethics

2009-02-20 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
to be duplicated but nevertheless there is no continuity of identity because the soul cannot be duplicated. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group

Re: Copying?

2009-02-21 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
moment to moment due to chemical reactions and thermal motion and we still remain the same person. If tolerances were so tight that the no-cloning theorem is relevant then the brain couldn't possibly function. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You

Re: Personal Identity and Ethics

2009-02-22 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
? By that argument you could also say you are a copied fake of the John of a year ago, since most of the matter in your body has been replaced. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-02-22 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
specially blessed, even though nothing will actually change either subjectively or objectively. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-02-23 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
at a blank wall thinking of nothing for a moment, then during that moment you might be a generic human having such a similar experience. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-02-24 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
it might not really be me? If you can come up with an answer, then it could equally well be applied to walking across the room, which none of us do worrying that we won't survive the experience. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message

Re: Personal Identity and Ethics

2009-02-24 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
, since subjectively I cannot look forward to having any of his experiences. to your #2 reply: artifact free choice of whatever seems 'best'. You might be yearning for being a much 'better' person in many respects. Makes no sense. I don't understand this comment. -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-02-25 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
of of consciousness, since B1, B3, S1 and S3 are all distinct. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l

Re: language, cloning and thought experiments

2009-02-25 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
the curve is to the left of a finite age, then if he forgets how old he is he should bet that he is younger than this age. But if the tail is infinite, that still means he can expect to live forever. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-02-26 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
because they generate observer moments with the right sort of information content. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-02-27 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
midazolam is no big deal (which I do), to be consistent I should also think that death is no big deal. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-02-27 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
is that fear of death is only partly, if at all, attenuated by rational considerations. I could probably make my hour old backup do anything I want by holding a gun to his head. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-01 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
, since I might end up being the copy. But after the copying this would no longer be a consideration, and I would not hesitate to hurt the copy or the original (depending on which one I was) no matter how short the time since differentiation. -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-01 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
; and without my consent. OK? Living in the first country is equivalent to allowing a contract where you agree to a gain today at the cost of suffering tomorrow, like selling your soul to the devil. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-02 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
in order to copy the memories, personality etc. You may not need quantum resolution, since in that case it is hard to see how you could avoid drastic mental state changes while just sitting still. Also, in which TNG episode does it mention quantum resolution for the transporter? -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-03 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
creating copies 100 at a time. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l...@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-03 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
creating copies 100 at a time. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l...@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-03 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
do anything ta change the probability that you will end up being tortured, its effect being mainly psychological. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-03 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
if you allow that there is some means of destroying all copies in the multiverse. But there is probably no such means, no matter how advanced the aliens. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-04 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
conscious.  Then I would be dead. It seems possible, but in that case the QTI would be wrong. Also, it isn't clear that the MWI says that everything that can happen, does happen, even though that is how it is sometimes characterised. -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-05 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
, like the matter in my keyboard spontaneously rearranging itself into a miniature fire-breathing dragon, are actually impossible under MWI, i.e. don't occur in any branch of the multiverse? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message

Re: language, cloning and thought experiments

2009-03-06 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
not repeatedly. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l...@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from this group, send

Re: language, cloning and thought experiments

2009-03-06 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
, or diminish my quantity or quality of consciousness once I end up as B. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l

Re: language, cloning and thought experiments

2009-03-07 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
to zero. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l...@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from this group, send email

Re: language, cloning and thought experiments

2009-03-07 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
is preserved that interests me when I think about survival. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-l

Re: language, cloning and thought experiments

2009-03-09 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
2009/3/9 Brent Meeker meeke...@dslextreme.com wrote: Stathis Papaioannou wrote: 2009/3/8 Brent Meeker meeke...@dslextreme.com: And if it went to zero you certainly wouldn't know and wouldn't care. If I died I wouldn't be around to know or care, but I would care in anticipation of dying

Re: language, cloning and thought experiments

2009-03-11 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
, where Q is the absolute utility experienced by an individual copy, is then: U = (M1R1Q1 + M2R2Q2) / (M1R1 + M2R2) -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group

Re: Altered states of consciousness

2009-03-30 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
with complete destruction of the ego, such as induced by Salvia Divinorum, as equivalent to a period of unconsciousness or an unrelated person's consciousness, provided there were no memory of the event as the experience was resolving. -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: Altered states of consciousness

2009-03-31 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
are lost and never return, then we may as well say the original person has died. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email

Re: Altered states of consciousness

2009-04-01 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
to explain the atoms from a notion of continuity of persons, and I think the continuity is not in the memories, but in the self-referential loop itself. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google

Re: Altered states of consciousness

2009-04-02 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
you are calculating subjective probabilities as the (in general far less common) worlds where there is no such gap. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group

Re: Altered states of consciousness

2009-04-03 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
would be more generic than the feeling + superimposed complex cognition, since the latter would have higher information content. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List

Re: Altered states of consciousness

2009-04-03 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
. When I use the term memory in discussions on personal identity I assume that it covers this sort of memory as well as the memory of who I am and what the last word I typed was. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you

Re: Altered states of consciousness

2009-04-03 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
to be less significant. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from this group

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-20 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
physical system (which could be mapped onto any information or any computation) would be conscious. This is only a drawback if you believe, I guess as a matter of faith, that it is false. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-22 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
is ignorant but systematic? If so, how could the computation know about the psychological state of the operator? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-23 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
2009/4/24 Brent Meeker meeke...@dslextreme.com: Stathis Papaioannou wrote: 2009/4/23 Brent Meeker meeke...@dslextreme.com: Say a machine is in two separate parts M1 and M2, and the information on M1 in state A is written to a punchcard, walked over to M2, loaded, and M2 goes into state B

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-24 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
consists in the information. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-24 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
.)  :-) Do you think a computation would feel different from the inside depending on whether it was done with pencil and paper, transistors or vacuum tubes? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-25 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
possibly be discontinuous if this was done, for where would the information that tells you you've been chopped up reside? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-25 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
be with respect to another part. So we return to the position whereby a rock could implement any finite state machine, if you only look at it the right way. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-27 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
have maintained a series of non-random OM's orderly enough and long enough to compose this post. All you can be certain about is your present OM, and it may be the only OM in all the universes, anywhere or ever. In ot -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-27 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
2009/4/28 Stathis Papaioannou stath...@gmail.com: 2009/4/27 Jason Resch jasonre...@gmail.com: I am not sure that the measure problem can be so easily abandoned/ignored.  Assuming every Observer Moment had has an equal measure, then the random/white-noise filled OMs should vastly outnumber

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-28 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
2009/4/28 Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be: Sure. I will ask a bank to lend me huge amount of money, I promise them to reimburse when I will win ten times the big lottery in a row. Not so far fetched, really. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-29 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
parties. The funds required for this purpose are obtained by a tax levied against the non-drinkers. Finally an explanation I understand ... JohnM Excellent story, worth the brief deviation from the thread topic! -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-29 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
, that you can't slice consciousness arbitrarily finely in time. Could the question be settled by actual experiment, i.e. asking the subject if they noticed anything unusual? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-29 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
nothing to bind it together other than the content of the individual OM's. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-29 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
arbitrarily finely in time. Could the question be settled by actual experiment, i.e. asking the subject if they noticed anything unusual? -- Stathis Papaioannou For this you would need an actual AI and also that everybody agreed on the fact that this AI is conscious and not a zombie

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-29 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
with Brent that this association won't happen (or at least, there will be a gap at the seams) unless the computers are causally connected. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-30 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
activity, since at one extreme the Rock argument allows that any computation is implemented by the null state). Chalmers tries to rescue computationalism in the paper cited by arguing that the Rock argument is not valid. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-30 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
carry out with a human subject in the foreseeable future there would be noticeable gaps in consciousness, due to technical factors. What about the virtual reality experiment above? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-30 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
of consciousness ramped down and ramped up again rather than instantaneously turning off and on, but if these technical factors could be controlled for how could you possibly notice a gap? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-04-30 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
that computationalism is false or else that computationalism is true and dependent on physical activity and therefore that the argument is invalid. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-05-01 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
is wrong, or why the birds flying around won't give rise to whatever consciousness is associated with the operation of the logic gate? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-05-03 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
observers), or that the computation does not supervene on physical activity at all. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-05-04 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
system you choose, by non completely trivial application of computer science. And to use a primitive quantum computer for a primitive physics is treachery with respect to the comp mind body problem. OK? OK, I think. Thanks for taking the time to reply! -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: Temporary Reality

2009-05-04 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
, then that would result in expanding our consciousness? Perhaps. But saying that something would be nice doesn't have any any bearing whatsoever on whether it is so. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed

Re: Temporary Reality

2009-05-06 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
2009/5/7 daddycay...@msn.com: On May 4, 6:13 am, Stathis Papaioannou stath...@gmail.com wrote: 2009/5/4  daddycay...@msn.com: I agree that religion, and a lot of other stuff, produces a lot of fake certainty.  Not good.  So that implies that atheism is the way to go? But doesn't

Re: Temporary Reality

2009-05-08 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
do, because the evidence demands it. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe

Re: Quantum suicide and immortality

2009-05-10 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
immortality experiments don't create any more worlds than there otherwise would be. In the multiverse as a whole, only a very small number of worlds contain versions of you who survived a direct nuclear blast. In almost all the worlds, you have died. -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-05-13 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
(in a non-living-dead sort of way), no? -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-05-14 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
an expert than from a random person. But of course, experts cannot always be right, and historically many things that scientists have believed even unanimously have turned out to be wrong. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message

Re: No MWI

2009-05-18 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
of either type. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from this group

Re: Cognitive Theoretic Model of the Universe

2009-06-02 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
2009/6/2 Jason Resch jasonre...@gmail.com: I think these interviews provide a nice summary of his views: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ak5Lr3qkW0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mfbUhs2PVY I can't say I've ever seen a more extreme example of a narcissist. -- Stathis Papaioannou

Re: When is this?

2009-06-15 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
is in the subjective past. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from this group, send email

Re: When is this?

2009-06-15 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
, quantum immortality and so on we are talking about how this illusion unfolds. -- Stathis Papaioannou --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything

  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   >