Machines was:Kim 2.1

2008-12-24 Thread Günther Greindl
Kim, Bruno, Not at all. You have already done the first and last leap of faith of the reasoning when accepting the digital brain at the first step. I am aware that you are not aware of that, because in the reply you seem to believe that the MEC hypothesis can be taken for granted. But it

Re: Machines was:Kim 2.1

2008-12-25 Thread Günther Greindl
Bruno, This conception can, I think, be indeed taken for granted by every scientifically minded person. Why ? It is an assumption too. What could we taken it for granted? Yes, it is an assumption - that is why is wrote scientifically minded - if you are in any way naturalist (and all the

Re: Machines was:Kim 2.1

2008-12-25 Thread Günther Greindl
Bruno, But no weakening of comp based on nature is known to escape the replicability. Even the non cloning theorem in QM cannot be used to escape the UDA conclusion. I already wanted to ask you on this one: you have said before on the list that quantum-no cloning does not make a problem

Dharmas, type-F monism and COMP-OMs

2008-12-25 Thread Günther Greindl
Hello Bruno, this is an answer for a mail a few weeks back, did not have the time up to now. With comp, we have an (non denombrable) infinity of computations, going through a (denombrable) infinity of states, and only few of them, I would say will have 1-OM role or 3-OM role. Even a fewer

Re: Boltzmann Brains, consciousness and the arrow of time

2009-01-01 Thread Günther Greindl
which occur purely by luck, then causality can't play a significant role. This is the rather surprising conclusion which I reached from these musings on Boltzmann Brains. Hal Finney -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna guenther.grei...@univie.ac.at

Re: Boltzmann Brains, consciousness and the arrow of time

2009-01-01 Thread Günther Greindl
Bruno, I have also wanted to ask how you come to 2^aleph_zero Well, in part this results from the unbounded dumbness of the universal doevtailing procedure which dovetails on all programs but also on all non interacting collection of programs (as all interacting one). How do you

Re: Boltzmann Brains, consciousness and the arrow of time

2009-01-03 Thread Günther Greindl
inhabitants of the rather small (considered against Platonia) visible universe. Best Wishes, Günther Bruno Marchal wrote: Hi Günther, On 01 Jan 2009, at 23:58, Günther Greindl wrote: Bruno, I have also wanted to ask how you come to 2^aleph_zero Well, in part this results from

Re: Boltzmann Brains, consciousness and the arrow of time

2009-01-05 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Stephen, Stephen Paul King wrote: Nice post! Coments soon. Thanks :-) Looking forward to the comments. Speaking of Svozil's work, please see: Cristian S. Calude, Peter H. Hertling and Karl Svozil, ``Embedding Quantum Universes in Classical Ones'', Foundations of Physics 29(3),

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-06 Thread Günther Greindl
Abram, an intuition I have come to concerning time is the following (it is only qualitative and may or may not be helpful in thinking about time): From relativity theory we know that there is no universal now, and that the invariant between two points in the physical universe is spacetime

Re: Boltzmann Brains, consciousness and the arrow of time

2009-01-07 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Bruno, thanks for your comments, I interleave my response. showed a glimpse of the vastness of the UD. And, I agree, _in the limit_ there will be an infinite number of histories. So, as we have to also take into account infinite delay, we must take this limit into account and have

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-09 Thread Günther Greindl
Thomas, (Apropos Günther Greindl's remark: space as the self moving in relation to everything else, time as everything outside the self moving in relation to oneself. it's funny that already in 1895, in his novel The Time Machine, H.G. Wells wrote, There is no difference between time and

Re: Boltzmann Brains, consciousness and the arrow of time

2009-01-09 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Bruno, and Cantor get a contradiction from that. You assume the diagram is indeed a piece of an existing bijection in Platonia, or known by God. No, you misunderstand me there - I just meant that we need to take the step to infinity - see below. that you get by flipping the 0 and 1

Exact Theology was:Re: Kim 2.4 - 2.5

2009-01-09 Thread Günther Greindl
Hello, My domain is theology. scientific and thus agnostic theology. I specialized my self in Machine's theology. Or Human's theology once assuming comp. The UDA shows (or should show) that physics is a branch of theology, so that the AUDA makes Machine's theology experimentally

Re: Kim 2.4 - 2.5

2009-01-09 Thread Günther Greindl
John, Brent, John said: EPR is a thought-experiment, constructed (designed) to make a point. How can one use such artifact as 'evidence' that shows...? Aspect Et Al tested it ages ago, see for instance here: http://www-ece.rice.edu/~kono/ELEC565/Aspect_Nature.pdf Brent said: But the EPR

Re: Boltzmann Brains, consciousness and the arrow of time

2009-01-10 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Bruno, I don't understand what you mean by computations being infinitely far away. In the UD deployment, which I will wrote UD*, all computations begins soon or later (like all dominoes falls soon or later in the infinite discrete dominoe-sequences). All computations reach any of

Re: Exact Theology was:Re: Kim 2.4 - 2.5

2009-01-11 Thread Günther Greindl
(concerning Pythagorenaism) is interesting. Best Wishes, Günther http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna guenther.grei...@univie.ac.at Blog: http://www.complexitystudies.org/ Thesis: http

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-12 Thread Günther Greindl
on m1 and separately s11 to s20 on m2? -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna guenther.grei...@univie.ac.at Blog: http://www.complexitystudies.org/ Thesis: http://www.complexitystudies.org/proposal/ --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You

COMP, Quantum Logic and Gleason's Theorem

2009-01-16 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi all, the question goes primarily to Bruno but all other input is welcome :-)) Bruno, you said you have already arrived at a quantum logic in your technical work? May I refer to the following two paragraphs?: We can read here: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qt-quantlog/ The

Re: Newbie Questions

2009-01-19 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi, Naive question: do physicists reconcile a really flat universe and the big bang theory? I don't see how. you mean this problem? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_bang#Flatness.2Foldness_problem Inflationary theories give a solution, but it is a bit ad hoc. I am not a big fan of Big Bang

Materialism was:Re: KIM 2.3

2009-01-19 Thread Günther Greindl
Brent, I wonder, what do you mean with materialism (I ask this having been a materialist myself)? Physics only describes relations. (see for instance here http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/structural-realism/) I gather you accept MWI, so quite a lot of relations hold. The question is, why

Re: COMP, Quantum Logic and Gleason's Theorem

2009-01-19 Thread Günther Greindl
, Mathematics of Modality http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Modality-Center-Language-Information/dp/1881526240/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8s=booksqid=1232402154sr=8-1 (the book contains the full paper) Cheers, Günther Bruno Marchal wrote: On 16 Jan 2009, at 22:04, Günther Greindl wrote: Hi all

Re: KIM 2.3 (was Re: Time)

2009-01-21 Thread Günther Greindl
Kim, the uncomputability of this issue. Why should the mind be limited to the computable? Clearly it is not. So you deny Step 1 again? You say no to the doctor? Could an AI conceive of Platonia? Why not? Cheers, Günther --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You

Re: Newbie Questions

2009-01-21 Thread Günther Greindl
Ronald, the ad hoc is because of the introduction of the inflatons which do nothing but, um, inflate... Stephen said: b) some sound explanation where given as to how an in principle unknowable phenomenon - the BB singularity itself - is any different from a Creative Deity, sans only the

Re: Materialism was:Re: KIM 2.3

2009-01-21 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Brent, I didn't use the term - it is one being attributed to me simply because I question the adequacy of logic and mathematics to instantiate physics. That is ok - there are different versions of materialism/physicalism etc. I don't accept any such esoteric theories - I merely

Re: View this page Resources

2009-01-25 Thread Günther Greindl
, but it seems to have vanished into an alternative universe. Are you still around Jason? Cheer -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna guenther.grei...@univie.ac.at Blog: http://www.complexitystudies.org/ Thesis: http://www.complexitystudies.org/proposal

Re: COMP, Quantum Logic and Gleason's Theorem

2009-01-25 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Bruno, Goldblatt, Mathematics of Modality Note that it is advanced stuff for people familiarized with mathematical logic (it presupposes Mendelson's book, or Boolos Jeffrey). Two papers in that book are part of AUDA: the UDA explain to the universal machine, and her opinion on

Re: COMP, Quantum Logic and Gleason's Theorem

2009-01-28 Thread Günther Greindl
math = Plotinus (or Ibn Arabi or any serious and rational mystic). Roughly speaking. I will think about a layman explanation of AUDA without math, and different from UDA. Best regards, Bruno On 25 Jan 2009, at 18:45, Günther Greindl wrote: Hi Bruno, Goldblatt

Re: COMP, Quantum Logic and Gleason's Theorem

2009-01-28 Thread Günther Greindl
Bruno, theoretical computer science and mathematical logic. Rereading Conscience et Mécanisme I realize Russell Standish was right, and that book should be translated in english because it contains an almost complete (self-contained) explanation of logic (for the physicists), including

UDA and interference of histories

2009-01-28 Thread Günther Greindl
Again a question for Bruno ;-) There are certain arguments (Deutsch, Wallace, Greaves) that propose that they can derive probabilites (and the Born rule) from decision theory - although I am not convinced (see for instance Price 2008 - http://arxiv.org/abs/0802.1390). Criticism

Re: Movie graph and computational supervenience

2009-01-29 Thread Günther Greindl
Quentin, you are, it seems to me, simply reproducing the MGA. You are assuming a (material) computer on which the AI+environment run - relatively to us, this will never be conscious - but it _could_ be conscious relatively to other computations in Platonia. To make an AI conscious relatively

Re: Movie graph and computational supervenience

2009-01-29 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Quentin, So when do the AI becomes a zombie when I run it relatively to me ? after how much stub subpart (I'm talking about function in a program, not about a physical computer on which the said program is run) have been replaced ? Will answer more later. Ok, have you looked at the

Re: The Seventh Step (Preamble)

2009-02-08 Thread Günther Greindl
'Tis poetry! Kim, Bruno, thanks for this wonderful dialog. Most beautiful stuff I've read in a long time - and so spontaneous. Cheers, Günther Bruno Marchal wrote: Hi Kim, I have not the time to think deeply on zero, so I will answer your last post instead :) On 05 Feb 2009, at

Re: consciousness and self-awareness

2009-02-08 Thread Günther Greindl
of human consciousness? Thank you. -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna guenther.grei...@univie.ac.at Blog: http://www.complexitystudies.org/ Thesis: http://www.complexitystudies.org/proposal

Re: COMP, Quantum Logic and Gleason's Theorem

2009-02-08 Thread Günther Greindl
' are OK. With such handicap in my thinking it is hard to fully follow the flow of the (A)UDA dicussions. I try. Best regards John M On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Günther Greindl guenther.grei...@gmail.com mailto:guenther.grei...@gmail.com wrote: Dear Bruno

Re: COMP, Quantum Logic and Gleason's Theorem

2009-02-08 Thread Günther Greindl
Dear Bruno, Some of these books I have already read (Boolos), You mean read with pencil and paper? Well no *grin* - it was the adopted textbook in one of the courses I took, and I did the assigned exercises, but now flipping through the book I realize I must go back to it again - more than

Re: briefly wading back into the fray

2009-02-08 Thread Günther Greindl
Hello Jack, I could tell you what's wrong with his MGA, but I'm here to deal with the QS paper first. I appreciate your prioritizing your paper, but I would be interested in what you find wrong with the MGA. By the way, as I mentioned in a previous mail to John, my departure from

Re: adult vs. child

2009-02-10 Thread Günther Greindl
I'm with Mike and Brent. Bruno, giving A1 and A2 mirrors which would show different stuff violates Stathis' assumption of running the _same_ computation - you can't go out of the system. And your remark that we should differentiate infinite identical platonic computations confuses me - it

Re: Bruno's Brussels Thesis English Version Chap 1 (trial translation)

2009-02-10 Thread Günther Greindl
Kim, Günther recommends recently the book Eveything Must Go by Ladyman et al. This looks like heavy going but seems like a good and a relevant tome to get into, possibly circling around the mechanist idea. Do you also recommend it? The book does not concern the mechanist thesis, there

Re: COMP, Quantum Logic and Gleason's Theorem

2009-02-10 Thread Günther Greindl
Dear John, JM: 'evolutionary' is 'relational' anyway originated in 'human mind capabilities' - D.Bohm: there are no numbers in nature. (Not arguing against Bruno, who IMO stands for nature is IN numbersG) Well yes, that is the interesting question. But if you say that there are no numbers

Re: AB continuity

2009-02-11 Thread Günther Greindl
Jack, There are some people who will, but relatively few. That is what counts for QS to be invalid. Hmm, that does not make QS invalid (see Quentin and Jonathan's posts for my views on the issue, they have expressed everything clearly), and in fact you have already conceded QI (by

Re: continuity - cloning

2009-02-12 Thread Günther Greindl
to Will Riker on Star Trek: TNG. -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna guenther.grei...@univie.ac.at Blog: http://www.complexitystudies.org/ Thesis: http://www.complexitystudies.org/proposal

AUDA Page

2009-02-16 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi guys, I finally got around to writing the AUDA references page: http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list/web/auda Comments welcome. Cheers, Günther --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups

Re: AUDA Page

2009-02-22 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Bruno, will incorporate your changes as soon as time permits :-) Best Wishes, Günther Bruno Marchal wrote: Hi Günther, Nice work Günther. Now my comment is longer than I wish. I really would insist on one change. See (**) below. On 16 Feb 2009, at 22:54, Günther Greindl wrote

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-02-22 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Stathis, Bruno, List, the copy can be you in deeper and deeper senses (roughly speaking up to the unspeakable you = ONE). I talk here on the first person you. It is infinite and unnameable. Here computer science can makes those term (like unnameable) much more precise. I don't see how

Re: language, cloning and thought experiments

2009-02-24 Thread Günther Greindl
Jack, Wei Dai, machines are invented, there will be a much greater selection pressure towards U=M*Q. But given that U=Q is closer to the reality today, I'm not sure what good it would do to taking a stand against QS/QI. To translate: U=M*Q is 3rd person POV (hypothetical; viewed from

Re: AUDA (was David Shoemaker, Personal Identity)

2009-02-24 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi, I would say the Universal Soul. To be the ONE? The difficulty is that Plotinus is not always clear. I go now from my reading of mystical texts, not from the arithmetic interpretation - and here mystics often report feeling at one with the universe, everything etc. I would say that

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-02-26 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi, Personal identity and memory could be a useful fiction for living. Here I was alluding to possible deeper sense of the self, which makes me conceive that indeed there is only one person playing a trick to itself. Like if our bodies where just disconnected windows giving to that unique

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-02-27 Thread Günther Greindl
Bruno, List, in awaked state. Yet I do distinguish dying and forgetting. Let us say that we have a measure of continuation (of psychological) identity from 1 to 0, where 1=full continuation and 0=death, and we apply this measure from one OM to the next. Then forgetting would be everything

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-02-27 Thread Günther Greindl
Stathis, List, if a backup was made an hour ago, since I (the presently speaking I) will not be able to anticipate any future experiences. Only if there As Bruno said in a previous post, what we should care about in personal survival is not concrete memories (although memories are essential

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-02-27 Thread Günther Greindl
John Mikes wrote: Brent: who is making that 'backup' or 'replica' of you? and why? It is only a thought experiment to make clear what we care about regarding personal identity. And if computationalism is true, this thought experiment will be practically quite relevant in the near(?) future

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-01 Thread Günther Greindl
Stathis, Bruno, It leads to a very complex question: should we allow people to torture their doppelganger, for example as a ritual or sexual practice? Of course not without their consent, given that the golden ethical rule with comp is don't do to the other what the other does not want you

Re: AUDA Page

2009-03-01 Thread Günther Greindl
Hello, have incorporated most of Bruno's change wishes: http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list/web/auda Best Wishes, Günther --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-03 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi, better: this is just the usual comp-suicide self-selection (assuming of course we can really kill the copies, which is in itself not an obvious proposition). I have been thinking along these lines lately, in a somewhat different context: the teleportation with annihilation

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-04 Thread Günther Greindl
Stathis, Stathis Papaioannou wrote: Imagine the sequence: Scan - Annihilate - Signal - Reconstitute The no-cul-de-sac hypothesis is false if you allow that there is some means of destroying all copies in the multiverse. But there is probably no such means, no matter how advanced the

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-04 Thread Günther Greindl
Bruno, Indeed, that would be like if a number could make disappear another number. Even a God cannot do that! The idea would be rather that some continuations would correspond to non-existent numbers, like, say, the natural number between 3 and 4. Cheers, Günther

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-05 Thread Günther Greindl
HI Bruno, Indeed, that would be like if a number could make disappear another number. Even a God cannot do that! The idea would be rather that some continuations would correspond to non-existent numbers, like, say, the natural number between 3 and 4. I am not sure I understand. If the

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-05 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Stathis, It is at least conceivable that the collection of particles that is me could undergo some environmental interaction such that *all* the following entangled branches decohere into states that do *not* map to the emergent class of me, being conscious. Then I would be dead. It

Re: The Amoeba's Secret - English Version started

2009-03-06 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Colin, the problem is that while the _ideal_ of science is rationality, it is not yet fully institutionalized (can it ever be?) and people still harbor a lot of irrationality personally (scientists often have the strangest beliefs outside their speciality

Re: language, cloning and thought experiments

2009-03-06 Thread Günther Greindl
Which I? Aren't you concerned that you would press the button - and vanish? Brent The psychological continuer - the one who remembers having pressed the button but with +5 dollars on his account. @Stathis: would you really do this (press the button, also in the absoute measure scenario)?

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-06 Thread Günther Greindl
Bruno, My idea was rather that the instantiations would not correspond to numbers in the first place But that would violate the comp assumption. No, you still misunderstand me ;-) not correspond in the sense of non-existing, not in the sense of existing but not number. - that is why the

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-06 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Bruno, With COMP it is not so clear. explicit appeal to self-consistency (= the move from Bp to Bp Dt; the Dt suppresses the cul-de-sac). With comp, to believe in a next instant or in a successor state is already based on an act of faith. Please bear in mind that I have not yet

Re: language, cloning and thought experiments

2009-03-07 Thread Günther Greindl
Stathis, Brent, There are two copies of me in perfect lockstep, A1 and A2. I'm one of these copies and not the other (though I don't know which). Suppose I'm A1 and I decide to teleport 100km away. That means A1 disappears and a new copy, B, appears 100m away. I'm happy, since I feel I've

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-10 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Bruno, The idea was that the numbers encode moments which don't have successors (the guy who transports), that's why there exist alien-OMs encoded in numbers which destroy all the machines (if we assume that arithmetic is consistent). Hmmm (Not to clear for me, I guess I miss

Re: Mikovi´c's Temporal Platonic Metaphysics

2009-03-11 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi, this paper (Mikovic) is unfortunately not very good. I quote: There are strong arguments that the human mind is not computable, based on Goedel’s theorems in logic, see [3]. 3 refers to Penrose's Emperor's new mind. I don't think that I have to comment this fallacy on this list. (Bruno

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-11 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Bruno, 1-OM, (by step 7, correspond to infinity (aleph_zero) of 3-OMs, themselves embedded in bigger infinities (2^aleph_zero) of computations going trough their corresponding states. Between you-in-the-living room, and you-in-the-kitchen there is already a continuum of

Re: Wolfram Alpha

2009-03-11 Thread Günther Greindl
Kim, great post, thanks! You may enjoy this TED talk: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html As to your laughing friend, I also know some such people, they have in truth not understood what science is about: asking questions, being critical

Re: [Fwd: NDPR David Shoemaker, Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction]

2009-03-13 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Bruno, thanks for your interesting answer, I have some questions though. course, as I said, this will depend of what you mean by you. In case you accept the idea of surviving with amnesia, you can even get to a state where you know you are immortal, because your immortality is a past

flying pigs

2007-09-12 Thread Günther Greindl
Hello all, after a rather long hiatus I am back on the list; I have been grappling with the relationship of mathematical entities to the real world and feel like entering the fray again :-)) From: Youness Ayaita 3 No-justification In this last paragraph it can be seen that the

Re: Rép : Observer Moment = Sigma1-Sentences

2007-09-12 Thread Günther Greindl
, but if one is careful one can nevertheless say this, of inconsistent theories for instance). Cheers, Günther -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at/Wissenschaftstheorie/ Blog: http://dao.complexitystudies.org/ Site: http

Re: Rép : Observer Moment = Sigma1-Sentences

2007-09-13 Thread Günther Greindl
correctly :-) (not all people seem to share this opinion, even at university!) Best Regards, Günther -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at/Wissenschaftstheorie/ Blog: http://dao.complexitystudies.org/ Site: http

Re: Rép : Observer Moment = Sigma1-Sentences

2007-09-20 Thread Günther Greindl
questions, this can take millennia, and more Agreed. Best, Günther -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at/Wissenschaftstheorie/ Blog: http://dao.complexitystudies.org/ Site: http://www.complexitystudies.org

Re: against UD+ASSA, part 1

2007-09-30 Thread Günther Greindl
http://www.hpcoders.com.au -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at/Wissenschaftstheorie/ Blog: http

Re: What are the consequences of UD+ASSA?

2007-10-27 Thread Günther Greindl
and I suddenly wake up to find myself drawn, I shouldn't be surprised at all - my being drawn was a condition for being a perceptive being. I think a mixing up of these two viewpoints underly much of measure problem, doomsday and other arguments of the same sort. Regards, Günther -- Günther

Re: Why wasn't I born there instead of here?

2007-11-18 Thread Günther Greindl
all variants of the doomsday argument fail. DA also only works if you had a transition into some civilization from a civ spirit - which obviously is not the case. Regards, Günther -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http

Re: Theory of Everything based on E8 by Garrett Lisi

2007-11-27 Thread Günther Greindl
a counterexample? Regards, Günther -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at/Wissenschaftstheorie/ Blog: http://dao.complexitystudies.org/ Site: http://www.complexitystudies.org

Re: Several Criticisms of the Doomsday Argument

2007-11-27 Thread Günther Greindl
of the interval [1,100]. Then, if you would draw the ball 517012 you would not know from which urn it was either. It is definitely a labeling artefact. Regards, Günther -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at

Re: OM = SIGMA1 links

2007-11-27 Thread Günther Greindl
-archive.com/everything-list@eskimo.com/msg05958.html http://www.mail-archive.com/everything-list@eskimo.com/msg05959.html http://www.mail-archive.com/everything-list@eskimo.com/msg05961.html http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science

Re: Cantor's Diagonal

2007-12-21 Thread Günther Greindl
leave one without leaving the other. Could you elaborate some more on this? Regards, Günther -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at/Wissenschaftstheorie/ Blog: http://dao.complexitystudies.org/ Site: http

Re: Cantor's Diagonal

2007-12-21 Thread Günther Greindl
at infinity? This seems very arbitrary to me. I am becoming more and more an ultra-finitist. Arguments with infinity seem to be very based on the assumptions you make (about platonia or whatever) Regards, Günther -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL

Re: Joining Post

2008-01-03 Thread Günther Greindl
body decohere). So, we are all pilots _and_ puppets (I guess that was what you were saying) - depending from the point of view. And that leads to the measure question: you will more likely experience worlds which have greater measure. Is that what you are asking? Regards, Günther -- Günther

Re: Russell's Theory of Nothing and time.

2008-01-09 Thread Günther Greindl
the infinite I suppose you do not mean the heat death of the universe. But what would perfect symmetry be but heat death? Regards, Günther -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at/Wissenschaftstheorie/ Blog: http

Re: Quantum Interference and the Plentitude

2008-01-14 Thread Günther Greindl
: An Incomplete Guide to Its Use and Abuse, so these books might precede the Fabric :-) Good books all. If you like Watts book (and also if you don't ;-) I also recommend The Tao is silent by Raymond Smullyan (who you probably know from his logic stuff). Regards, Günther -- Günther Greindl

Re: RE : Re: Discussion of the MUH

2008-03-06 Thread Günther Greindl
Brian, I can assure you that Bruno is the last on this list who would troll. He is always very helpful and interested in serious discussion. I suggest you look at some of his papers before accusing him of trolling. Günther Brian Tenneson wrote: I would appreciate that the trolling of my

UDA Step 7

2008-03-25 Thread Günther Greindl
in modern cosmology but also in a UD generating _all_ computational histories? Cheers, Günther -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at/Wissenschaftstheorie/ Blog: http://dao.complexitystudies.org/ Site: http

Re: UDA Step 7

2008-03-31 Thread Günther Greindl
for selecting from all math. objects; which contradicts my objection above ;-)) Cheers, Günther -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at/Wissenschaftstheorie/ Blog: http://dao.complexitystudies.org/ Site: http

Re: UDA Step 7

2008-04-02 Thread Günther Greindl
. How do you mean the first person is forgotten? Best, Günther -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at/Wissenschaftstheorie/ Blog: http://dao.complexitystudies.org/ Site: http://www.complexitystudies.org

Bostrom Paper

2008-04-02 Thread Günther Greindl
experiment. [Minds and Machines, 2006, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 185-200] http://www.nickbostrom.com/papers/experience.pdf It raises some issues the UDA is concerned with. What do you think of it? Best Regards, Günther -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL

Re: Bostrom Paper

2008-04-07 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Bruno, A pity he does not refer to UDA, given that Bostrom has followed my talk in Brussels at the consciousness ASSC meeting in Brussels, ... Sorry to hear that... where Chalmers quit the audience at the third step of UDA. Chalmers seemed not to accept the subjective or first

Greg Egan's Permutation City was: The prestige

2008-04-17 Thread Günther Greindl
(of the list) will have seen the movie. Bruno http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at/Wissenschaftstheorie/ Blog: http://dao.complexitystudies.org/ Site: http

Re: Quantum Immortality = no second law

2008-04-17 Thread Günther Greindl
probability that molecular interactions will result in a decrease in entropy in a particular sealed volume under observation, there exist histories in which this must be observed. This is never observed. Therefore the MWI is shown to be false. -- Günther Greindl Department

Re: Greg Egan's Permutation City was: The prestige

2008-04-19 Thread Günther Greindl
Bruno, more seriously imo. And then I tell you without further explanation that the prestige is truly more. We can come back on this later. OK I cave in, I will watch this movie :-)) Cheers, Günther --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you

Re: Quantum Immortality = no second law

2008-04-19 Thread Günther Greindl
Dear Nichomachus, decision. If she measures the particle's spin as positive, she will elect to switch cases, and if she measures it with a negative spin she will keep the one she has. This is because she wants to be sure that, having gotten to this point in the game, there will be at least

Re: QTI --- Expanding brains

2008-04-20 Thread Günther Greindl
Your identity must be preserved as your brain continues to expand to make room for all that informaton that must be stored. Now, I find it hard to Why should all the info be stored/your id. be preserved? We constantly forget stuff - as you get older and older, you will forget past stuff, so

Re: QTI --- Expanding brains

2008-04-21 Thread Günther Greindl
The concept at fault here is the I - there is no essence to you, so it is rather meaningless to speak of what you where if there is neither exterior physical evidence (records) or interior physical evidence (memory) which ascertains a history pertaining to the current Tom Caylor pattern.

Re: On Russell's Derivation of Quantum Mechanics

2008-04-21 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi Russell, and Roy Frieden's approaches, and have you read Cosma Shalizi's review of Frieden's book? http://www.cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/reviews/physics-from-fisher-info/ I am not familiar with Frieden's Theory, but I know that Shalizi's reviews are well founded. Regards, Günther

Re: Quantum Immortality = no second law

2008-04-25 Thread Günther Greindl
The focus of my paper is on theories in principle fully describing universes (or u-reality). The term 'logically possible' is intended to contrast with 'physically possible' and refers to descriptions (theories) being internally non-contradictory (more in note 4 in my paper). OK Classical

Re: Which mathematical structure -is- the universe in Physics?

2008-04-27 Thread Günther Greindl
unit. Does this ring any bells with physicists? What, physically or observably, is this strong distinguished unit, if so? -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at/Wissenschaftstheorie/ Blog: http

Computability and Measure

2008-05-01 Thread Günther Greindl
Hi List, I found this: S. A. Terwijn, Computability and measure, PhD thesis, University of Amsterdam, 1998. Downloadable here: http://www.logic.at/people/terwijn/publications/thesis.pdf (I am currently attending his course, he is a very good teacher :-) Maybe of interest to the

Re: All feedback appreciated - An introduction to Algebraic Physics

2008-05-01 Thread Günther Greindl
. Regarding: COMP implies the negation of CRH Is this also in your Sane 2004 paper? (then I missed that point) - if not, where did you argue this? Cheers, Günther -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at

Re: All feedback appreciated - An introduction to Algebraic Physics

2008-05-01 Thread Günther Greindl
://iridia.ulb.ac.be/%7Emarchal/- Hide quoted text - - Show quoted text - -- Günther Greindl Department of Philosophy of Science University of Vienna [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.univie.ac.at/Wissenschaftstheorie/ Blog: http://dao.complexitystudies.org/ Site: http

  1   2   >